Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Tool Tuesday - Cordless Iron

 

Cordless Iron

Let me start by saying I am an "old school" ironer.  My Dad taught me to iron when I was about 7 years old and it was often my job to press his uniform shirts (he was a colonel in the Air Force).  I appreciate it actually, because he taught me the importance of ironing in a particular order (back, front, collar, sleeves), how to iron a collar and sleeves correctly and just basically why pressing is so important.  

A few years ago I gave up steam irons (well, gave up putting water in them) because honestly it caused more issues than it solved: drips of water on fabric that shouldn't get wet, rust colored water staining white fabric, etc. etc.  So I became an ardent proponent of dry ironing.  I never fill the water reservoir.  I use a spray bottle when I need to dampen fabric and I ALWAYS use an pressing cloth (usually just a left over piece of muslin or white cotton fabric works).

The one thing that always irritated me when ironing, though, was how the cord was constantly getting caught on my garment and would pull it up and wrinkle it after I'd just pressed it, or knock it down.  UGH!  When I worked in the costume department at NC State University they had this amazing system where the cord (and I think water line for steam) was actually attached to a pully system in the ceiling.  WHAT?  It was so cool and I've always dreamed of having a system like that.

Until . . . I discovered this cordless iron!  I'd been eye-balling it for a while and last month I finally went for it and bought it!  And I have to tell you - I LOVE IT!  

It did take some getting used to for setting it down after using it because it is pointed on both ends.  A couple of times I tried to sit it down on its "bottom" which it doesn't have and it rolled over.  But it wasn't a problem.  I just had to retrain my muscle memory and learn to set it back in it's charging holder.  And this cordless iron comes in a traditional shape too! So if you want that, it's available.

I will say, it doesn't seam to get suuuuuper hot, but I haven't had any issues ironing anything.  Even stubborn creases come out with misting from my spray bottle and then pressing with the iron. 

Honestly, this is a fantastic addition to my sewing tools and I don't see myself going back to my old iron any time soon!

So now you tell me - do you have a favorite iron?  Do you love or hate steam?  I wanna know!

With love,


Rebecca

No comments: